Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Wednesday 16 September 2009

A blog break that is now "broken"

It felt like it was only last week when I got all excited about outdoor freedom of summer living, flip flop, t-shirts and shorts and was complaining about the very hot days without fan or air conditioning, ....tick tock tick tock, woke up this morning, autumn is staring right at my face.

The weather is bad at the moment. I have now added my local weather station on the top page. As I rumble and ramble about life in the alps, you can see for yourself if I'm shining under the sun or bundled up in layers of wool knits with chattering teeth. There's no sun at all the last couple of days. Some parts of the garden is beginning to look very gloomy as half of the colourful flowering plants are done with their flowers and busy making seeds. Weedy seeds can be seen on cobwebs everywhere. We have cold air coming down from the north pole at the moment and it is raining, foggy and grey sky, but this cooling temperature will create a magical autumn colour display for the next coming weeks. Had to push myself out into the garden, with an umbrella in one hand and took some pictures before the prolonged rain spoils those last bit of garden beauties.
Mevrouw Nathalie Nypels, sounds like a celebrity's baby's name (ha ha) This is a Dutch name and this rose was bred in the Netherlands in 1919. I got this rose as a bare roots last winter and she is less than 2 feet tall but she didn't waste anytime at all this year. Bloom cycle is very short and every few weeks there's a bunch of flowers on the bush. There are no fragrant unfortunately, but for the joy of blooms, and adding some colours in general landscaping, I find this rose is very hard working. I didn't have a "real" holiday this year because I forgotten to make proper plan during 2008 hectic year. It has never happened before that I was so busy to the point that I forgotten about planning annual leave but I am lucky to have such great friends who made my short 10 summer days spent with them unforgettable. I was in a beautiful region in northern Italy, breathtaking landscape, challenging climbing walls with endless treks for mountain biking and walking around. I will update my summer add-ventures blog later. More than 1000 pictures to resize!In between rock climbing and all the outdoor adventures, I also managed to document some roses that grew up on that altitude.

The chrysanthemum are full with buds, and the delphinium are about spent. It is very rare that I get to see the second repeat bloom but this summer was extraordinarily dry. That in a way did cut down on slugs mobility and their chomping activities.
Overall my garden is looking quite tired and very overgrown with weeds at the moment. Its amazing how tough those weedy wild plants could thrive even with very little rain during summer months. While I was away, I did missed some of the peak period of summer bloomers but there are others still busy making buds for autumn repeat.

We usually get our first snow at the end of October. Very soon, I must allocate some time for the endless must do tasks in the garden before the arrival of winter. I didn't do any garden upkeep at all during the peak summer time. It was simply too hot and cannot recall the last time I go around deadheading. Interestingly some roses like Stanwell Perpetual continues making buds without asking much for deadheading.
This year, since mid spring until now, Stanwell Perpetual has been very generous and very floriferous and there are still little buds forming even at this time of year. This is one rose I will take with me to the graveyard. Shall add that the next time I update the will. Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment