Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Thursday 17 September 2009

Christopher Marlowe

Gardening for flowers has its high and low.

Gardening with roses has it high and low too.


There are rose varieties that bloom riot at one go and then, that's it. The following 11 months are quiet and nothing else but leaves and loud thorns.

There are a lot of varieties that repeat bloom again and again, each time producing riotious colours that are so loud, they sent me reeling to the garden centre looking for annual plants in neutral colours to help tone down the glaring tones.

...but I have been warned about Christopher Marlowe's true colours. I remember Rachel bought this rose plant during her impulsive moments. Once at home, she found the colours of Christopher Marlowe just doesn't quite workout with her existing roses and colour scheme.I remembered spending hours chatting and proposing to her into buying more plants to either tone down the colours, or to create a bridge that can linkup and add the flow of the rainbow along her fence.

....and then, one day I found myself walking in the garden centre and immediately attracted to the unique colours on Christopher Marlowe. One pot of Christopher Marlowe arrived in my garden. O wow. Suddenly the most boring corner of the garden lighted up! The following days, I scouted another garden centre and another and another. I ended up collecting 5 well established Christopher Marlowe. I dug out a round patch and planted them all in the same planting hole.

This is a fragrant rose. At peak blooming period, the fragrant waft in the air like a big tidal wave. On grey cloudy day, the colours of Christopher Marlowe really brighten up my mood.

Thanks to Rachel for introducing her impulsiveness. I wouldn't have notice this David Austin rose due to its compact short growth. Somewhat, in my garden climate, this rose never grow higher than 2 feet tall.


By late summer, this rose lost 70 percent of its leaves due to black spot. I don't bother with the black spot fungi spraying, but even with very little foliage left, they still repeat bloom for the last autumn display.

No comments:

Post a Comment