Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Monday 11 May 2009

Spring first bloom


This is a new comer to the garden and the second Banksia rose I've collected so far. I wish I had planted it long ago because she is so simple yet so beautiful, even the overall leaf shapes are beautiful, and healthy looking. It took me so long to make up my mind partly because I wasn't sure if it is able to survive my cold alpine winter. I have never seen this rose grown locally too and it's not available here anyway. I had to get it from Italy, whose climate is ermm....mediterranean!

After years of reading about it and up to my chin with my own drool, I decided to give it a try. Worst comes to worst, I'll roll it in and out of the conservatory. Height of 9' 10" to 18' (300 to 550 cm). Width of 10' to 12' . (305 to 365 cm) I must be out of my mind, especially I've already got the other Banksia Alba that's already growing in the conservatory, but this Banksia Purezza is a hybrid with ability to withstand cold temperatures down to -17 to -20°C that is -5 to 0°F
That means, I am really pushing the limit of this rose, because my garden's location and elevation is exactly at that limit. So, I'm really keeping my finger, hands, toes and knees crossed for this rose this coming winter.
She is so beautiful, and the only one of all the Banksia that repeat bloom.

The first spring bud from Rosette Delizy was looking good until it fully opened.

Pests are my number one suspect which caused such a deformation. This is just one of those tiny disappointing thing I have to live with since I decided to garden without using chemicals. Organic gardening is very much dependent on bio diversity and at this time of year, the garden predators are still out numbered by the destructive pests.


____________________________________________________________________
Copyright © Rosesarerae All Rights Reserved All the contents in this blog are copyright protected and digitally traceable.

No comments:

Post a Comment