Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Friday 15 May 2009

Where there's a will, there's a way

Finally, after 2 years I am delighted to see the blooms of this rhododendron Yakushimanum Anuschka for the first time. The flower heads reminded me of the pink candy floss from the funfair and they fade to a lighter pink when the petals unfurled.


I wish I could plant more rhododendron for the shady part of the garden, especially at the edge of the woodland clearing where I'm creating a new outdoor garden room surrounded by tall trees, unfortunately the soil test in that area revealed pH 5.6 and not acidic enough to fill in the requirement of rhododendron. Clematis on the other hand thrive in this kind of soil pH reading as sweet soil suits them really well.
I really like this Rhododendron Yakushimanum family. The blooms are big, showy and can bee seen from far away. The colour of Anuschka really shine on grey days during early spring. This one really cheered up shady corner behind my kitchen which receive only 2 hours of direct sunlight in late afternoon.
Like Hydrangea, pieris and many other plants which requires planting medium higher than pH7, changing and amending the garden pH reading is going to be a continuous effort because there are natural lime rock up above the garden slope which probably leaches the calcium into the garden soil.


They are shallow rooted plants and they like peaty well drain but damp acidic soil. At the moment, this Anuschka is growing in a big planter with a special mix of soil for rhododendron but I'm going to try it anyway and plant it in the woodland by adding alot of humus into the ground until the area where its going to be planted feel spongy.

....if I don't try it, I'll never find out.









____________________________________________________________________
Copyright © Rosesarerae All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment