Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Wednesday 18 March 2009

Seeing Heaven in Wild Flowers

As spring pushes in, and the warm air coming up from the south, the snow on the north facing hill slowly disappearing. I hope that’s the end of winter.

Right now, I am bespangled dizzy with excitement by the wonderful things popping up and moving about in the garden. Featherbrained for words. I had to turn to William Blake for his beautiful poem;

To see a world in a grain of sand,
and a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

A robin redbreast in a cage,
Puts all heaven in a rage.



(Excerpt from Auguries of Innocence – William Blake )


There is no cage and no heaven’s rage here. The redbreast robin is free to come and go anytime, anyday. The choice is theirs. The nuthatch already found the nesting box

Some people may say, “there are more to life than just getting excited about flowers and life in the garden,” but for me, gardening is one of those little yet important fundamentals in my life.

An hour spent in the garden, made me bowed down in humbleness to the great mother nature. This is the place I learned to appreciate simplicity and if “a” heaven is seen in “a” wild flower, right now I am seeing hundreds of heavens.
I don’t know the name of this tiny blue wild flowers but they are the first one to bloom on the south facing slope. Thousands of them tiny little flowers, yards and yards of them, right into the vineyards, turning the whole slope into a floral carpet.

Lamium Maculatum, the wild type is also making the ground looking purple and cheerful.

More heavenly wild flowers Part II

No comments:

Post a Comment