Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Sunday 28 June 2009

The Red fruits from the garden

The beautiful cherry blossoms last spring has turned out to be a fruitful one. The last days of June is juicy ripe with cherries. Anywhere you drive around Switzerland, you can see ladders leaning onto tall ripening cherry tress. I'm cherrified by my own cherry trees. Day and night nibbling cherries, but they are only once a year. I love my own home grown cherries and I ate them like there's not tomorrow!
Strawberries are one of my favourite seasonal fruits. It can be grown in so many ways; in pots, hanging pots or on the ground. I grow mine in the pots because I don't have straw or hays. Farmers and commercial growers usually grow their strawberries on the ground, layered and support the berries using straw or hay, to avoid fouling, hence it is called strawberries.
Red Currants or Ribes Rubrum is a spring flowering shrub and the juicy red currants are ready for harvest around this time of year. They can be eaten fresh, or kept deep frozen for a long time for later use in fruit cake mixture. They can also be dried for adding into breakfast cereals or liquify and turned into jelly, marmalade or syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment