Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Tuesday 16 June 2009

The Twelve days of Summer Holidays

I really must decide where I want to go for summer holidays this year. After putting aside 2 weeks for Christmas to New Year's and skiing holidays, there are 2 weeks left. Minus 2 days for any contingencies, what can I do with 12 days? Or rather, what would I like to do during that 12 days? Should I opt for a beach holidays, sailing somewhere? Jack Lord, Hawaii Five O and surfing the big waves?
Since we are on the Hawaii topic, I have been looking for the climbing rose Aloha for a long time. I found it last year and planted it in the garden. When the bloom opened up, the colour is not in the colour scheme as planned. I found out that there are several other Aloha bred by different breeders from different years. The Aloha Hawaii above was created by Kordes and a new rose. Still, it is a pretty rose, so it get to stay but I do have to move it to the sunshine memorial garden. The Aloha which I really wanted was actually the pink one that was bred by Gene Boerner 1949. This one is not available in Switzerland, probably due to licensing but I found it in Italy's La Campanella nursery and brought it into the garden as a bareroots in the midst of winter last January. It has grown up to a little ove a metre tall(3 1/2 feet) and blooming in the garden at the moment. Bliss.
Now I wonder if these Aloha roses are very commonly grown in Hawaii? I would feel at home if everywhere I turn on the islands, there are aloha blooms all over the place.


Roses aside, I still don't know where to go for a short summer break. I'm just not the type sitting on the beach for 12 days, stuck behind a book and turning red like an over cooked lobster under the sun. Should I go wandering and trekking in the mountains? Wildlife and nature safari in South Africa? 12 days of adventures in the Latin Americas ala Indiana Jones? ....but its winter time in the southern hemisphere right now. The wildlife probably migrated somewhere else. I'm not a big fan of snakes.

I'm off to watch discovery channel. Maybe I get some ideas for something interesting to do for 12 days.



_______________________________________________________________________
Copyright © Rosesarerae All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment