Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Tuesday 17 February 2009

Rosy Inheritance

Some people collect stamps, shoes, handbags, books, antique cars, motorbikes.....all sorts of things A to Z.

I used to collect shoes and handbags until my closet exploded! These days I go about like "men's style" small thin wallet tucked in nicely in the inner pocket of my jacket. Handbags made me look clumsy, what more with the laptop bag and file bag and sandwich in one hand and car keys and and and.... I am now a simplified person. Less is more.


I have always been collecting plants since I was a kid. It started with cactus, succulent and seeds of all sorts. Later on, I bought my first house and by default I inherited everything that's planted by the previous owner. It didn't take me long before I ripped off the tennis court and expanded the garden.
Few years after that, I ran out of space. Its time to move on and built a house in a middle of a vineyard. I started the new garden on a blank canvas. As of today, the terraced flat areas are filled up neck in neck and and I am forced to cultivate a less than practical adjoining areas, a small woodland clearing and 60 degrees steep slopes meaning whatever plants that are going to be grown there must be easy care and low maintenance. Being an an avid rose collector, so I began a quest searching and collecting rare and antique roses that are low maintenance.


My friends asked "How many roses are you going to grow??

"until I ran out of space"

"That's a lot of work" they said

"not necessarily" was my answer

A lot of people I knew are convinced that roses are high maintenance plants, but this is a general misconception. Gardening is a constant maintenance work even when done on a recreational basis. 4 hours on the golf course is also work, plus the extra hours spent working on putting and chipping practices leaving patches on the lawn. Plants are living growing things. Some plants are known to travel from one corner of the garden and popped up in another place. Some plants are thugs and they smother other plants. It is always a matter of selecting the right plant for the right usage.

This unidentified old rose which I inherited through the property is a good example. It is one of the many rose shrubs that is growing all over the place in the vineyard. It is also a fine example of a very cold hardy rose and able to take the exposed windy location very well. As seen in the picture below, it is growing just behind the retaining wall and thrived by itself for years getting water from the rain and sharing whatever fertilizer the grape vines received. This is a very low maintenance rose. The plant practically takes care of itself and very disease resistant too.
Nobody from the vineyards hands are able to identify this rose. The older generation who started the vineyards are long gone. Roses are commonly used by wine growers to detect the spores of powdery mildew which will catch the roses first before infecting the grapes. So I am quite sure this roses must have been part of the vineyard culture for a long time. The grape vines surrounding it has been replace a couple of times in the last many decades. I am slowly going through the records of the vineyard tracing its history, the variety of grapes introduced over the last decades, the bills and payments slips but I still haven't come across anything about the roses.

After a few years of studying the plant, leaves, blooms and other characteristics of my inherited roses, I am quite sure this one in particular is Celesté from Alba group of roses. I could be wrong, I have been wrong before. Identifying roses is very tricky. 9 of 10 characteristic may match but the last one is always the doubt factor because so many roses share similar characteristics and for an untrained eyes like mine, they all look the same! There are conflicting thoughts from expert rosarians too.

Why bother finding the name? A rose is a rose, but that is like saying all individual human beings are the same....and we know that is not true. Roses are like human. They have genetic codes and these codes determines their survival care.

According to: Die Rose: Geschichte, Arten, Kultur und Verwendung (The Rose: History, Kinds, Culture and Use); alba. Céleste, light incarnate, medium size, full, flat cup form, one of the most beautiful in this group

According to: Roses (Phillips & Rix); Celeste, (Celestial) An Alba which originated in Holland around the end of the 18th century. It makes a large rounded bush up to 2 m high, with grey-green leaves typical of R. x alba, and exceptionally beautiful, sweetly scented flowers.Illustrated by Redoute under the name R. damascena 'Aurore'.


According to: Classic Roses - An Illustrated Encyclopedia and Grower's Manual of Old Roses, Shrub Roses & Climbers; Celestial ('Celeste') Alba. Very ancient. Description and cultivation... flowers: soft pink...

According to the Rose Bible: Description; Don't prune bush low or they'll spend the next season reaching the height at which they're comfortable before blossoming.

Looking at the size of the woody canes, I guess my Inheritance has never met the secateurs.

According to the book: Gardening with old roses; Soft pink ... definitely performs better in light or dappled shade.

-->but my inherited rose is growing in full sun, in a most exposed windy location on top of a hill between rows and rows of grapes.

According to: The Ultimate Rose Book; Céleste ('Celestial') Alba. Description... an especially delicate clear shade of pink...

According to: The Ultimate Rose Book; Celestial Alba. Parentage: Unknown. (aka 'Celeste') Origin unknown, possibly The Netherlands. Description and cultivation... flowers: soft, even pink... Elongated red fruit...

--> I must remember to take picture of the hips soon

According to: Der Rosenfreund 1873 ed. Rosa alba. Celestial, medium size, full, pale pink-flesh-coloured, flat cup form; can be regarded as one of the most beautiful of this group. Very suitable for pillars and pyramids.

According to: Der Rosenzüchter, oder die Cultur der Rosen Alba. Celestial, medium size, full, pale pink, flesh-coloured, flat cup form.

According to: The Rose Garden (First Edition 1848) Rosa alba. Celestial; flowers flesh colour, beautifully tinted with the most delicate pink, of medium size, double; form, cupped. Habit, erect; growth, moderate.

According to: The Rose Garden (First Edition 1848) Rosa alba. New Celestial; flowers bright pinkish rose, large and showy.

According to: Rosenlexikon; Céleste (alba) ; flesh-white, medium size, double, cup form, 2 m.Celestial (damask) ? ? ; vivid pink, mediums ize, double = Rose céleste.Celestial (alba) in England ? ; flesh-white = Maiden's Blush

According to: The Essential Earthman; Gertrude Jekyll's donkey, Jack, once ate the side off a large plant of [Celestial], and Vita Sackville-West once observed that if she had to settle for just one alba it would be 'Celestial.' These were both great authorities on roses. Others prefer 'Maiden's Blush' or (as the French call it) 'Cuisse de Nymphe Emue,' which is to say the thigh of a passionate nymph. It is quite similar to 'Celestial,' perhaps more a bluish color....

I have grown Maiden's Blush for a few years now in an effort to compare the 2 roses. From a distance they look similar. They leaves and young canes look the same but the blooms are different. Maiden's Blush has got more petal count, compact and somewhat not as flat as Celesté


http://www.apictureofroses.com/cms/class/alba.htm

Read my other blog - Pooch

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear Rae
Thought I'd pop in and say hello here. I know I owe you an email about wellies but my British inhibitions-hangups are hard to overcome you know :)
Such a pleasure to read your rose musings, especially from under 10cm of snow in Copenhagen. Your suspected Celeste is lovely and I agree with you, it looks very close, though I don't have this rose and can't say for sure. Knowing you are a curious women, I wondered why you hadn't bought a 'control Celeste' to compare the flowers? No space left to rose-colonise? :D
I plan to drop in here and say hi from time to time, miss hearing your news and humour :)
snowy rosy greetings from your ex-forum companion
Maribel
ps I tried to post this under my name but it kept telling me I had to type some 'numbers' that I don't know .. still technically challenged here, as you can see :(

rae said...

Hi Maribel,
Its wonderful that you dropped in! I sure miss the forum too. When I find the time I will make a point to visit. I have "Celesté" but she is still not producing any blooms, was just growing growing growing. We shall see this spring if she decide to show her colours.

greetings ---rae
PS:I'm off to heliskiing now. Will post some monterosa roses from there if I find any.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's dreamingly beautiful!!
I've always wanted a rose like her but still can't decide because there are so many attractive candidates...
As you know, I don't have space and I'll have to chose one. Your photo gave points to Céleste. Is she very thorny?

rae said...

Hi Maki,
Compared to the other Alba Queen of Denmark, Celesté is not fiercely thorny. Very harmless tiny ones.

As Vita Sackville said, if she down to just one, Celesté is her choice.

shirley said...

Beautiful roses. I had some English roses planted at my last house, a soft pink also. I bet they smell wonderful.

rae said...

Hi Shirley,
Thanks for dropping in. I have some DA roses too. Will put up some pictures later. Some of the English roses smells really good but there are some very old antique roses from the days of our grand parents with really overpowering fragrance.

Camilla said...

Hi Rae.
What a gorgeous inherited rose you have, I am now drawing all over. :D I do grow Celesté in my garden, last summer was the first time it flowered, have to compare it to your photos next summer. I hope it’s the same rose because your rose I would most definitely want in my garden. I like your blog a lot and I have missed your beautiful pictures.
It’s a great story behind your rose as well I think stories like that makes the rose even more precious to the owner. I have my farm rose an Alba to but so far nameless, I love it not only for its beauty but because of its story and history.
Have a nice week.
All the best
Camilla

PB said...

glad he lokes dirt bikes
And sorry I don't know him
keep in contact
PB

rae said...

Hi Jessica,
wonder no more! I wrote that written blessing when I came across your blog by accident after reading women of grace blog.
That was it. I don't know you either.
Just a well wisher----rae

rae said...

Dear Camilla,
I look forward to compare your Celesté to my Inheritance. Please let me know when yours starts blooming so I can visit your website.
I hope my Celestè will also bloom this year.

Post a Comment