Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Sunday 8 February 2009

Winter Wonderland


February is pretty much mid winter here and the meteological experts published their December and January reports which confirmed this year's winter is harder and colder compared to the last 2 years.

There is nothing much I can do in the garden other than walking around knocking the snow from flattening and breaking the brances of my garden shrubs and those standard rose trees. It is really the time of year when I really learn to appreciate the beauty of skeleton trees, twigs and watching birds.

I usually refer to this bird as the carpenter because of the hammering against the tree trunk.

I was told by Ken, another one of my gardening friend that this Great Spotted Woodpecker's tongue is approximately two thirds the length of it's body, and retracts into a special cavity in it's skull, and also has an "ear" on the tip which enables it to hear it's prey inside the tree.

Thanks a lot Ken for sharing your ornithology knowledge. I find this very interesting.

More info about this bird http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Spotted_Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment