Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Wednesday 15 April 2009

It's Cherry pink and Apple blossom white

I'm sure you know that song, but not all cherry blossoms are pink.

The wild sour bird cherry blossoms in my woodland garden are mainly white. Some ornamental cherry blossoms are pretty in pink but most of my edible cherry blossoms are white.

I have a couple of apple trees growing in the garden and their blossoms are actually pink!










The white cherry blossoms in the picture below is from my favourite cherry tree, unfortunately I forgotten the name and the identification tag got blown away by the wind some time ago. This particular cultivar was bred by a local Swiss hybridizer and the fruits are of course cherry red in colour, but it is the flesh of the fruit which makes it different compared to other cherries which are quite soft when they ripen. This favourite of mine is so crunchy even when over ripened and oh so sweet. I usually eat the cherries from this tree all to myself!

Well, that's because I am the only one in the house who is mad about cherries. There was a time when I was in Athens, at the end of May and it was searing hot, and everywhere I turned, there are mounds of glistening red cherries selling in every fruit shop in the city. I succumbed to the temptation, bought 2 kilos and ate them all by myself within an hour while walking around Acropolis. I know it sounds crazy and that record is still valid. Maybe I should try and break my own record.

If you see some cherry trees growing around the ruins of Acropolis today, those could be from the pits I spitted out some years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment