Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Sunday 5 April 2009

Pieris Japonica Passion

There are lots of reasons to get all excited about this lily of the valley shrub.

Everytime they fully opened their bells, it is a kind of confirmation that spring is really here.

Their ringing is loud and clear; a new beginning to a lot of things, and everything will be on a speedy growth from now on, because the daylight gets longer and brighter every day.

It is a very useful evergreen shrub with neat growing habit and beautiful green leaves.

I use it to provide some refreshing green colour to the garden for the grey boring winter months.
They began making tiny little buds during late winter while there was still snow on the ground, but these little bells did not open up in my cold garden in time for valentine's day.

I don't blame them for their late arrival. The temperature here is just too cold, but still, at least they are making buds while other plants are still in deep hibernation.

This is one of my favourite shrub amongst the numerous everygreen in the garden, simply because they are the first one to produce blooms and provide colours. They require good drainage and acidic soil to thrive and prosper.

Just as the name suggest, these cherise red tiny little bells really rings the chorus;








P-A-S-S-I-O-N !!



Love is in the air!!


Unfortunately, Magpies are not my favourite birds because of their stealing habits but I just found out that they could be a good solution to the pair of stray pigeon that nested outside my garden shed last year. Those pigeon family has now double up to 4 because the chicks which I've written about before are now fledglings. Unfortunately, before I could get rid and clean up their mess, I found another 2 more eggs in the vacated nest .

It was fascinating watching the magpie fly into my woodland, perch on the tree top, break a twig and fly away to build their nest somewhere.

1 comment:

L.a. said...

Those pics are wonderfull !!

Post a Comment