Search This Blog

My Autumn Weather

Saturday 25 April 2009

Prunus Serrulata Kanzan

Much has been written and raved about this Prunus Kanzan, so I'm just going to share my personal experience having this tree in my garden. I agree with the others who said that this is one of those very showy ornamental spring blooming cherry tree. I really like the frilly double blooms.

This Kanzan tree was only 2 feet tall when I planted it 4 years ago. Today it has reached 9 feet tall (3 metres) and will be even taller when fully matured. I look forward to that because this tree has become one of my favourite tree in the garden. It is one of those well behave plant; not throwing branches in all directions. I have never prune it, cut it or shape it. I didn't do anything to this plant since it was planted. I didn't even water or feed it with any fertilizer. One thing I know about cherry trees is that they have very long roots underground and very draught tolerant.

The blooming period is a little short, about 2 and a half to 3 weeks, depending on the weather and the leaves only appear after the flowers started opening. The young leaves first unfurl bronze coloured and then slowly turning green and remain such throughout summer, providing a nice shade during the hot summer days. In autumn, the leaves turn into a stunning burnt orange colour.

Like most cherry trees which I've planted in the garden plus those wild bird cherries that sprout by itself like weeds in the woodland, I think they like my heavy clay soil. During the early days, I was constantly worried that this Kanzan tree will not make it through the first winter because I had planted it in the most exposed south facing part of the garden. The Prunus Amanogawa did no make it in this location. It died after a very hard winter but I have replaced it and this year had something like 20 blooms on a 2 years old Amanogawa young tree.

I find Kanzan a little bit tougher and able to take in the most bone biting desiccating cold wind during winter months. This picture was taken a few days ago showing the leaves are already out and the blooms are looking a little tired from the temperature that is raising up to high teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment